Saturday, April 24, 2010

Family games update

It has been a while since my last family boardgame posting; we have been playing games, I've just been bad at posting about them!

Castle Panic has had a few sessions, and I'm really enjoying it. It is another cooperative boardgame (which I find my 6 year old really enjoys - Pandemic being the current cooperative king), but the theme evokes some of the crazy dungeon hack-and-slash games I used to play.

Basically, you all play cards from your hand to stop a horde of monsters from attacking your castle in the middle of the gameboard. The monsters comes from all sides, and have various strengths. Once a monster reaches the castle itself, it becomes MUCH more difficult to stop them, and they slowly destroy the castle.

It seems easier to win than Pandemic (that's not saying much - it took us, I think, 8 plays before we won our first session of Pandemic, and that was with only 3 Epidemic card, IIRC). And I like the art.

We have also played one session of Harry Potter Clue. The theme is nicely done, they have added some new mechanics like moving secret passages, doors that lock and unlock on their own, and an attack/defense system with additional cards. But in the end, it is still Clue. If you like that sort of thing. Too much luck for our family right now.

I try to have a 'coming next' part of each post, but I'm not too sure what our next family game will be. I'm intrigued by Kill Doctor Lucky (inverted Clue), Mr. Jack (similar to Scotland Yard, but two-player), and Smallworld. Don't what will be next.

No comments:

Post a Comment