Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Dreams of Future Past

Remember Dreamcast? I was reminiscing about Shenmue today and came across this discussion online about it.

http://games.ign.com/articles/102/1023747p1.html

it's the mundane moments that gave Shenmue its poetry, whether it was an early morning stroll to Dobuita's arcade or an afternoon wasted on the streets of Hong Kong manning a Lucky Strike store.
I dug it, but it was one of the first keep-asking-townsfolk-until-you-unlock-the-next-bit games I played, and I enjoy that dynamic although I didn't unlock a ton of the game. Also it was a realtime game years before Animal Crossing. I found it compelling. I wasn't expecting a point, just wandering around going, ooh.

Clay felt more the way about it that IGN does, he was excited for its potential and let down by the lack of point or action in the game.

Regardless it has me remembering that Sony was once totally awesome. I am coming around to the fact I may have to cough up some money for a PS3 at some point but I honestly don't know where I'd put it in this giant pile of games and consoles :b

No comments:

Post a Comment